Last week we discussed tips on how to grow a community, but bringing in new community members doesn’t end with outreach. How do you create a welcoming environment for new community members and help them to quickly contribute and get involved? What role do you play as a community manager? What role do your existing members play? How can you utilize technology to help welcome new members without being robotic?
We could all use a fresh perspective on how to welcome new members! Join us with this week’s panel for #CMGRHangout on Friday, April 11th at 2pm EST!
+Jonathan Brewer and +Sherrie Rohde will be hosting the Hangout with +David DeWald, +Brian Fanzo, +Khaleelah Jones, +Whitney Klinkner and +Patrick O’Keefe as panelists. +Carrie Keenan and +Sarah Mordis will be moderating the Twitter chat using #CMGRHangout .
1. How do you help encourage a new member to start contributing and get involved in the community?
2. How do you get a new community member comfortable with the community’s guidelines and objectives?
3. How do you help a new community member avoid or handle information overload?
4. What role do other community members play in welcoming a new member?
5. How can you utilize technology to help welcome new members without being robotic?
6. What other tips do you have for on-boarding and welcoming new members?
RSVP & Watch the Hangout
RSVP here to let us know you’re going to watch. This will add the event to your calendar and remind you to attend! If you want to be on air, please let us know in advance by commenting here.
Let’s discuss ways you can attend:
Watch: You do NOT need to join the hangout. Just stay on the Google+ Event and you’ll see the video on YouTube. (Don’t worry, it will be there and start playing as soon as the broadcast begins.)
Talk and Be Seen: If you decide you want to talk, not just watch, click to join the hangout when we post the link here or when you see the notification. (We will only invite a few people for this event, so let us know why you would like to attend.) Do NOT click the link to join the hangout if you are just here to watch.
Chat: You can watch here and/or follow the conversation on Twitter using #cmgrhangout .
Any questions? Just let us know in advance. Please don’t wait until 2pm EST to ask questions.
If you join us on the hangout, a wired internet connection is preferred and if you have a headset with mic or earbuds, that works best for the audio. You will also need a working webcam.